Wednesday, 15 July 2026

Sword


The summer holidays are a chance for me to catch up with some serious reading, usually hardback titles that I've acquired second hand over the year. I started with this one a couple of days ago and have finished bed it already, not that it's a particularly long read. I went off Max Hastings a few years ago, after hearing him talk live about his book on Vietnam, where he didn't really seem to have anything interesting or insightful to say, perhaps because he churns out books that are more popular military history than academic studies. That does make them an easy and enjoyable read, however, so ideal for holiday consumption. This one is actually pretty good and reminds me of his early books on the Falklands and Korean War, which are some of his best in my opinion. I might have a look at another of his recent books next perhaps? 

No comments:

Post a Comment