Monday, 13 July 2026

Napoleonic Naval Rules Review




I've brought a couple of sets of Age of Sail fleet level naval rules along for the holidays, only one of which I've played previously, to use with my 1/2400th scale ships. I really like the A&A Grand Fleet Actions rules, having played in a number of games at the local club, including Trafalgar a few years ago. They are ideal for 1/2400th and straight forward enough to work well for solo games. The other set is from Long Face Games and is a system I've been intending to try out for a long time, as it is also designed for fleet actions using smaller scale models. Finally, I've been asked by David Manley to play test a new set of rules he's working on for frigate actions, designed for 1/700th scale Black Seas models, but easily adapted to 1/2400th by swapping inches for centimetres (I hope!). They look ideal for the Quasi War amongst other things, so I'm looking forward to giving them a go! With the Full Nelson from Toofatlardies on the horizon, I'm even considering building some plastic frigates, sloops and brigs in 1/700th, as I have a second hand stash set aside but don't really like the Black Seas rules...another project for the second half of the year methinks?

3 comments:

  1. An alternative option to Black Sails sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it has a lot of potential for small actions, cutting out scenarios etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it has a lot of potential for small actions, cutting out scenarios etc.

    ReplyDelete