I'm going to start writing up the first scenario for Algy Flies Down Under which features a Martinsyde G100 Elephant. This was an interesting if unspectacular reconnaissance and scout single seater, with a very unusual armament layout. An upper wing mounted Lewis gun was fitted on a tilting rack, which enabled it to be reloaded in flight, although it was notoriously hard to pull the gun into a vertical position, fit a drum then repisition it to the horizontal.
The other weapon fitted was a second Lewis gun positioned on a pintle mount to the right rear of the cockpit. This could be fired with considerable difficulty into the rear right hand arc but the chances of hitting anything were minimal. One Australian pilot put a chit in to the squadron armourer for 'arms, on pair, extra' after attending to load and fire the contraption. It was often dismounted and left behind for obvious reasons.
The firing arc for the Martinsyde G100 is described in general terms in the aircraft lists in the rules but, to clarify the way they work, I've drawn up a diagram which I will include with the scenario. I'm also thinking of adding a penalty to the dice modifiers when firing the second Lewis gun, as it was not easy, to say the least. It might put off a Fokker or two, though, so it's good to include it in the game.


No comments:
Post a Comment