Hauptmann Franz Walz.
I bumped into this chap while researching the Jasta pilots in Palestine. Interesting story for a pilot with only a handful of claims (7), none of which were made in the Palestine campaign.
Iron Cross, Blue Max and Royal House Order of Hohenzollern...quite a lot of gongs, primarily for his role as a CO, including commanding Flieger Abteilung 304b. He had been CO of Jasta Boelcke before this but hadn't been very successful, so was packed off to a hotter location.
His Albatross DVa was landing at El Affule on 20/09/18 when he was captur oned by the Australians, who had overrun the airfield. They also captured his aircraft.
The Israeli post office even put him on a stamp, not realising he was a general in the Luftwaffe in WW2!
I'm going to try to include him in a scenario if I can find an angle and a historical action which he might feasibly have taken part in?




No comments:
Post a Comment