I've got another Strength and Honour game in a few weeks time, so need to paint up a couple of auxiliary cavalry bases and some skirmisher strips, ready for the battle. We're going to have a crack at Bedriacum, with Vespasian's forces using my existing Imperial Roman army. I'm going to try a different approach to painting these units this time round, to speed things up a bit and add some more detail at the same time.
Wednesday, 31 May 2023
The Angolan and South African 1/600th decals from Dan at Flight Deck arrived yesterday, so I can now get started on my Angolan Air Force aircraft for the Border War Wings at War project. This will include MiG-23's, MiG-21's, Su 22's, Mi-8's and Mi-25's. I'm also thinking of including some more up to date aircraft, specifically the Su-27 and Su-25, so that I can do some modern 'What If?" games as well. No rush as I have plenty of other things to do!
Tuesday, 30 May 2023
An enjoyable but absolutely bonkers game of Cruel Seas at the club this evening, with the Italian heavy cruiser Pola and escort closing to point blank bombardment range of the inner harbour of Tobruk, only to be met by a the Royal Navy's coastal forces. The ground scale and any sort of realism went out the window on this one but it was great fun nonetheless. The rules are very dodgy but also very simple, so it clipped along at a good pace, with the end result a victory for the Axis, even if one of my S-boats was blown to bits. Crazy stuff.
Monday, 29 May 2023
After all the recent sidetracking it's now back to the proper project, to finish off my South American pre-dreadnought 'What If?' Chile vs Argentina mini-campaign painting backlog in 1/2400th scale. This involves firstly completing the last of the cruisers, with a selection of Chilean, Peruvian, Brazilian, American and British ships, which will pop up in the campaign on one side or the other, or quite possibly in the middle. I'll get cracking on these tomorrow.
This is the result of my experiment in painting 15mm figures using a basecoat and wash method, instead of my usual layering over a black undercoat. In some ways I think it works well, the shading on the packs for example, but in others I'm not so keen. It also wasn't any faster than layering, which was a surprise. I think I'll stick to my usual method for my Red Actions! project but, as I've started using washes for the Sandbox Skirmish figures I'll carry on with the same for the rest of the British infantry platoon. Ho hum.