Tuesday 4 December 2018

Working at Wings at War

2019?

I've got several Wings at War projects in various stages of completion and in the pipeline, so have been doing a bit of rationalisation today in order to prioritise and plan ahead. The checklist is now looking like this and there's plenty of things to do, some involving a bit of finishing off and others starting out from scratch:

MiG Alley 
This project is virtually complete with nearly all of the aircraft for both the UN and Communist forces painted and ready to go. I have made a shedload of DIY flight stands for this but they need texturing and painting. I've decided to go for a winter scheme, so that I can use my 6' x 4' winter terrain cloth. I will also need to make some hills, some river and coastal sections and some ground targets. I really would like to see this project to completion as it's taken ages to do but has been a lot of fun in the making.

Desert Spitfires
I have magnet based and undercoated all of the aircraft for this project. I also made a start on painting the RAF aircraft for this but stopped half way when I realised that I couldn't get any Egyptian insignia, so it made no sense to carry on. I now have the decals so can fire this one up again, although I will also need to make some ground targets and desert flight stands as well. I have some lovely Brigade Models buildings to use for the terrain, so that's a good start.

Corsairs and Cavaliers
The aircraft for this project are now on the workbench, with the Hondurans being painted first. The terrain and ground targets have been completed and I also have all of the flight stands done as well. I've even written the rules, so this project will be good to go once the painting has been completed, which I'm hoping to get done by the end of the month, so that I can playtest the rules properly to see if they stand up.

Fighters over the Forest
This is my adaptation of the Wings at War rule for the Alto Cenepa war of 1995. The rules have yet to be written but all of the aircraft have been painted and the terrain and ground targets can be pinched from the Football War project, so I just need to sort out the rules and I could wrap this project up. I have to admit that my interest in this has fizzled a bit but it would be worth completing, if only to use the aircraft models for a game.

Khalkhin Gol / Nonomhan 1939
This is possibly my next rules adaptation and may even get ahead of the Alto Cenapa project, as I have some more focussed ideas in my head. The plan is to adapt elements from the Battle of Britain and First World War rules to recreate the clash between the Japanese and Soviets over Mongolia in 1939. I think this has great potential but I have yet to do the background research and reading to make it work, so that's my plan for the holidays in a few weeks time. This would probably only be a rules re-writing exercise rather than a full on modelling and painting project.

8 comments:

  1. Quite a list.

    In a reverse of your position I'm waiting for you to do the rules for 'Fighters over the Forest' before I paint my models... Did you manage to track down that article btw?

    I can email you a copy if not.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I did, thanks Pete. I will get round to the Alto Cenepa rules at some point next year, probably sooner rather than later but need to look at what I've done so far before I put it all together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool- I'll see about getting something prep'd at least this month then.

      Cheers,

      Pete.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful projects!

    What kind of terrain do you use for hunters above the Corsairs and Riders of the forest? Do you use play mats or things like that ?

    Rémi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What kind of aircraft would the Khalkin Gol project involve Jim? Or is that part of the research you need to do?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Khalkin Gol sounds very interesting! I’d like to play that. I have some Japanese for the Pacific as a starting point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have all the Tumbling Dice aircraft for this, apart from the R-5 and Ki 10 which aren't available, although I'm using a proxy for the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Remi,

    Just a green jungle coloured cloth but I'm thinking of asking Tiny wargames to print a proper purpose made one too.

    ReplyDelete

Labels

Bag The Hun (748) AK47 (490) Books (484) Ironclads (477) Wings at War (392) Back of Beyond (241) Pre-Dreadnoughts (229) Coastal Warfare (226) Britain's Small Wars (199) Bolt Action (175) What a Tanker (170) Target Locked On (162) Napoleonic Naval (158) Victory at Sea (155) Knights of the Sky (150) MiG Alley (150) Old West (146) Chain of Command (145) Find Fix and Strike (137) Sandbox Skirmish (119) Naval Command (118) Bag The MiG (117) Naval Thunder (117) Pirates (116) Indo China / Vietnam (114) Air War Over Khalkhin Gol (108) Fistful of Lead (108) 15mm Sci-Fi / Near Future (95) Darkest Africa (91) VBCW (89) Strength and Honour (84) Shows (79) Ancients (78) ACW (77) The Football War (75) France's Small Wars (67) Boardgames (66) Corsairs and Cavaliers (66) Shipwreck! (66) BKC (65) Rapid Fire (63) Saurian Safari (62) Cruel Seas (60) Saga (60) Air War C21 (58) Journals (57) The Men Who Would Be Kings (57) Nimitz (55) Flashpoint Alto Cenepa (53) IABSM (53) Flashpoint Taiwan (50) Finest Hour (49) Gladiators (48) International Naval Wargaming Day (47) Red Actions! (47) Scramble for Britain (44) Flashpoint Baltic (42) Fortifications (41) Cold War (39) Duel of Aces (36) SCW (36) Thud Ridge (36) Desert Spitfires (34) Flames above the Falklands (34) RCW (34) War of the Pacific (34) Death in the Dark Continent (32) Atlantic Wall (31) Post Apocalypse (31) Iron Cow (30) Lion Rampant (30) Bag the Springbok (29) English Civil War / Anglo Dutch War Naval (29) Algernon Pulls It Off (28) Mexican Revolution (28) Normandy Firefight (28) Full Thrust (27) It Rolls For Ivan (26) Bulldogs Away! (24) One Hour Wargames (24) Samurai (24) Jet Knights of the Sky (23) 28mm English Civil War (22) Imaginations (22) Achtung Kommando! (21) Flashpoint PVO (21) PITS (20) Galactic Heroes (19) Steamer Wars (19) Strontium Dog (19) Ancient Naval (18) Iron Cross (18) Winter War (16) Aeronef (15) Aircraft (15) Imperial Commander (15) Rate of Fire (15) 2mm English Civil War (14) Aliens (14) Dragon Rampant (14) Mad for War (14) Arctic Eagles (13) Black Ops (13) CY6 Jet Age (13) Congo (13) Impetus (12) Wars of Insurgency (12) Zulus! (12) Flashpoint Fleet Air Arm (11) Gaslands (11) 633 Squadron (10) Franco Thai Air War (10) Jungle Green (10) Sharp Practice (10) 28mm Future Wars (9) Bohica (9) Dux Britanniarum (9) Merry Xmas Mr Sankara (9) Adventures in Jimland (8) Cry Havoc (8) Dreadnoughts (8) French Indian Wars (8) HYW (8) Renaissance Naval (8) Star Wars Legion (8) Sword and Spear (8) Through The Mud and Blood (8) Frostgrave (7) Target for Tonight (7) Five Parsecs From Home (6) French Resistance (6) A Mighty Fortress (5) Air War Angola (5) AirWar:1918 (5) Bombers over Germany (5) Check Your Six! (5) Five Men at Kursk (5) Fivecore Skirmish (5) Maurice (5) Seven Days to the River Rhine (5) Three Musketeers (5) Arab Revolt (4) Continuation War (4) Corvette Command (4) In Her Majesty's Name (4) Infamy Infamy (4) Medieval Naval (4) Never Mind The Billhooks (4) What a Cowboy (4) Battletech (3) Gangsters (3) HOTT (3) Hind Commander (3) Lord of the Sea (3) Luft 46 (3) Mourir Pour l'Indochine (3) Sturmovik Commander (3) Whispering Death (3) Wings Over Suez (3) Blood Red Skies (2) Chincha Islands War (2) Crom (2) Disposable Heroes (2) Fire and Steel (2) Fivecore Company Command (2) Iron Stars (2) Judge Dredd (2) Lethal Skies (2) NUTS! (2) No Go Zone (2) Pulp! (2) Starfighters! (2) War in El Dorado (2) A Billion Suns (1) Air War 1940 (1) Battlegroup (1) Black Powder (1) Dropzone Commander (1) Falklands War (1) Harpoon (1) Load and Return (1) Missile Threat (1) Missiles at Sea (1) Naval Wargames Society (1) Norway 1940 (1) Spanish American War (1) Sunray is Down (1) Ultracombat Normandy (1) Xenos Rampant (1)