Saturday 28 December 2019

2019 Retrospective

I've really enjoyed this project!

The time has come to look back over the last twelve months to see what I've managed to shift from the top of the lead pile. It's not been a bad year wargames wise but I have continued to move along at a snails pace, largely due to my on-going aversion to painting anything and my other commitments, although working part time has helped a bit. In retrospect a lot of my output has been only partially completed but this seems to be one of those inevitable things that I just can't seem to get away from, however hard I stick at it and despite my best intentions!


As far as actual wargaming is concerned, my old New Year resolution to play more games at the club has fallen flat on it's face but I have played a quite a few games at home. I did run a couple of games of Bag the Hun and WW1 Knights of the Sky at the club, together with a What a Tanker! introduction game which went down well with the regulars. I've also joined in with a Cruel Seas game, a Napoleonic fleet action and the recent Narvik re-play, but that's about it for club activity this year. At home, I've devised and played several Victorian ironclad scenarios for Broadside and Ram, which I've really enjoyed and will introduce at the club in 2020.


In terms of painting, I've finished some 1/72nd scale Soviet tanks for What a Tanker!, finally painted nearly all of the 1/2400th scale Tumbling Dice French and British ironclads, built and painted a Junkers J1 for Knights of the Sky, and shifted some other stuff a little further forward on the painting production line. I didn't complete the S-Boats or MTB's for Cruel Seas, the 1864 ironclads or the British AFV's for the 15mm Sandbox Skirmish project, but they have had some attention when I've been able to squeeze them in. I did manage to re-base all of my 1/3000th scale WW2 French fleet, however, which has breathed some new life into an old project for 2020.


On the production line front, I've assembled and based a 1/2400th scale French Napoleonic fleet and have glued together a load of late war British, German and American tanks for What a Tanker!, even though they are now sitting in a box waiting to be painted. I've also scratch built a whole set of pretty effective Mediterranean themed modular coastal terrain for 1/2400th scale wargaming and a load of winter terrain pieces for What a Tanker!, although there's more to do on both accounts before I'm finished. I enjoy scratch building terrain and buildings but haven't made as much this year as I have in the past so that's something else to consider for the year ahead.


The things that fell by the wayside include the Congo project, which just didn't get off the ground for various reasons, the aforementioned Cruel Seas boats, the Fokker Dr1's for Knights of the Sky and the Sandbox Skirmish project, which has just got stuck in a bit of a rut after a pretty productive start. I'll carry on with most of these in dribs and drabs but the Congo project will probably be shoved back in it's box, as 2020 is destined for more naval wargaming rather than 28mm  things. In fact, I'm thinking of selling off most of my 28mm lead and plastic pile, as it's just soaking up shelf space and will probably never see a lick of paint!


The wargaming highlight of the year, apart from my Victorian ironclad solo project, was probably the Come and Have a Go, if you think you're Lard Enough? event in March, during which I ran a couple of back to back Bag the Hun games. I really enjoyed this very well organised and friendly day out, with both of my games being well received by the players, so much so that I'm running another Bag the Hun game next year too, although it still needs some more preparation work with nearly thirty 1/285th scale aircraft to paint in the next ten weeks or so! 

Overall, I've had a low key but enjoyable year of wargaming, with a fair output of new things to play with and some old favourites revisited. I'm looking forward to 2020, as I have already got at least three projects on the workbench that have time limited deadlines to be met otherwise I'll be in a bit of trouble before I've even started! I'll set out my plans for the next twelve months soon, but as previously mentioned the overall theme will definitely have a nautical flavour once again, as I've found this to be a most rewarding and productive approach over the previous couple of years. I just hope I get more games under my belt than I have done in 2019?

7 comments:

  1. You’ve a had a productive year Jim! Your 1870s ironclad have been an inspiration for a new project on my workbench.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found it inspirational...the TD models are really good fun to paint up. I've just bookmarked your blog so I can follow your adventures in 1/2400th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your year has been far more productive than mine, so take heart there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may not have felt productive but what you did get done looks great.

    ReplyDelete

Labels

Bag The Hun (747) AK47 (488) Books (481) Ironclads (476) Wings at War (392) Back of Beyond (236) Pre-Dreadnoughts (229) Coastal Warfare (226) Britain's Small Wars (199) Bolt Action (175) What a Tanker (170) Target Locked On (162) Victory at Sea (155) MiG Alley (150) Knights of the Sky (149) Napoleonic Naval (146) Old West (146) Chain of Command (145) Find Fix and Strike (137) Sandbox Skirmish (119) Naval Command (118) Bag The MiG (117) Naval Thunder (117) Pirates (116) Indo China / Vietnam (114) Air War Over Khalkhin Gol (108) Fistful of Lead (108) 15mm Sci-Fi / Near Future (95) Darkest Africa (91) VBCW (89) Strength and Honour (84) Shows (79) Ancients (78) ACW (77) The Football War (75) France's Small Wars (67) Boardgames (66) Corsairs and Cavaliers (66) Shipwreck! (66) BKC (65) Rapid Fire (63) Saurian Safari (62) Cruel Seas (60) Saga (60) Air War C21 (58) Journals (57) The Men Who Would Be Kings (57) Nimitz (55) Flashpoint Alto Cenepa (53) IABSM (53) Flashpoint Taiwan (50) Finest Hour (49) Gladiators (48) International Naval Wargaming Day (47) Red Actions! (47) Scramble for Britain (44) Flashpoint Baltic (42) Fortifications (41) Cold War (39) Duel of Aces (36) SCW (36) Thud Ridge (36) Desert Spitfires (34) Flames above the Falklands (34) RCW (34) War of the Pacific (34) Death in the Dark Continent (32) Atlantic Wall (31) Post Apocalypse (31) Iron Cow (30) Lion Rampant (30) Bag the Springbok (29) English Civil War / Anglo Dutch War Naval (29) Algernon Pulls It Off (28) Mexican Revolution (28) Normandy Firefight (28) Full Thrust (27) It Rolls For Ivan (26) Bulldogs Away! (24) One Hour Wargames (24) Samurai (24) Jet Knights of the Sky (23) 28mm English Civil War (22) Imaginations (22) Achtung Kommando! (21) Flashpoint PVO (21) PITS (20) Galactic Heroes (19) Steamer Wars (19) Strontium Dog (19) Ancient Naval (18) Iron Cross (18) Winter War (16) Aeronef (15) Aircraft (15) Imperial Commander (15) Rate of Fire (15) 2mm English Civil War (14) Aliens (14) Dragon Rampant (14) Mad for War (14) Arctic Eagles (13) Black Ops (13) CY6 Jet Age (13) Congo (13) Impetus (12) Wars of Insurgency (12) Zulus! (12) Flashpoint Fleet Air Arm (11) Gaslands (11) 633 Squadron (10) Franco Thai Air War (10) Jungle Green (10) Sharp Practice (10) 28mm Future Wars (9) Bohica (9) Dux Britanniarum (9) Merry Xmas Mr Sankara (9) Adventures in Jimland (8) Cry Havoc (8) Dreadnoughts (8) French Indian Wars (8) HYW (8) Renaissance Naval (8) Star Wars Legion (8) Sword and Spear (8) Through The Mud and Blood (8) Frostgrave (7) Target for Tonight (7) Five Parsecs From Home (6) French Resistance (6) A Mighty Fortress (5) Air War Angola (5) AirWar:1918 (5) Bombers over Germany (5) Check Your Six! (5) Five Men at Kursk (5) Fivecore Skirmish (5) Maurice (5) Seven Days to the River Rhine (5) Three Musketeers (5) Arab Revolt (4) Continuation War (4) Corvette Command (4) In Her Majesty's Name (4) Infamy Infamy (4) Medieval Naval (4) Never Mind The Billhooks (4) What a Cowboy (4) Battletech (3) Gangsters (3) HOTT (3) Hind Commander (3) Lord of the Sea (3) Luft 46 (3) Mourir Pour l'Indochine (3) Sturmovik Commander (3) Wings Over Suez (3) Blood Red Skies (2) Chincha Islands War (2) Crom (2) Disposable Heroes (2) Fire and Steel (2) Fivecore Company Command (2) Iron Stars (2) Judge Dredd (2) Lethal Skies (2) NUTS! (2) No Go Zone (2) Pulp! (2) Starfighters! (2) War in El Dorado (2) Whispering Death (2) A Billion Suns (1) Air War 1940 (1) Battlegroup (1) Black Powder (1) Dropzone Commander (1) Falklands War (1) Harpoon (1) Load and Return (1) Missile Threat (1) Missiles at Sea (1) Naval Wargames Society (1) Norway 1940 (1) Spanish American War (1) Sunray is Down (1) Ultracombat Normandy (1) Xenos Rampant (1)